At MPLX, our commitment to sustainability means striving to create shared value with our stakeholders — empowering people to achieve more, contributing to progress in our communities and protecting the environment we all share.
Reducing Our Carbon Footprint
As the largest natural gas processor in the U.S., MPLX facilitates over 250 million tonnes of CO2e reductions per year from coal to gas switching. We recognize that there are still improvements to be made. From lowering the methane intensity of our operations to improving our energy efficiency, we are doing our part to reduce our carbon footprint.
Focus on Methane Program
Our “Focus on Methane” program is a holistic approach to voluntarily reducing methane emissions along all aspects of our gathering and processing operations.
Focus Areas for Methane Reductions
1. Pneumatic Devices
- Over 80% of 25,000+ pneumatic controllers are powered by compressed air
- Eliminate all ~340 high-bleed natural gas-driven controllers from service (completed 2022)
- Convert ~3,100 emaining natural gas-driven control valves to compressed air or other near-zero methane emissions technology
- Route emissions from ~1100 gas-driven pumps to control devices or convert to compressed air or other zero methane emissions technology
2. Pipeline Launchers and Receivers
- Controlled existing pipeline launchers and receivers that are opened frequently
- Designed new installations with a smaller launcher/receiver chamber
- Modified purging practices to reduce venting events
3. Fugitive Leak Detection and Repair (LDAR)
- Implementing LDAR programs at all compressor stations
- Implementing LDAR programs at facility types not expected to be covered by EPA’s proposed regulations
4. Control Reciprocating Compressor Emissions
- Install monitoring ports and complete periodic monitoring on ~1,000 reciprocating compressors to proactively replace rod packing when warranted
- Install low-emissions rod packing and measurement ports on 50% of reciprocating compressors by the end of 2023, 75% the end of 2024, and 100% by the end of 2025
- Explore ability to reduce methane slip
5. Maintenance Venting and Other Controls
- Optimize necessary maintenance venting and blowdowns to reduce emissions going to the atmosphere, including using vapor recovery units and/or portable flares
- Install additional controls where appropriate (e.g. select tanks)
- Install flare monitoring and control systems to improve combustion efficiency where appropriate
6. Advancing Measurement and Qualification Technology
- Analyze methane emissions data from FTIR testing performed
- Employ advanced monitoring technologies such as satellite imagery, flyovers, and drones to identify leaks and inform emissions calculations
- Pilot continuous measurement systems such as fence line monitors to conduct more frequent and real-time monitoring
Focus on Energy Program
Our “Focus on Energy” program is our holistic approach to improving energy efficiency in our operations while continuing to drive energy improvements.
Improving Energy Efficiency
1. Smart-Start Vapor Recovery
- Our terminals utilize Vapor Recovery Units (VRU) to recover vapors from trucks as they are loaded with fuel. Continuous emission monitors equipped with smart-start processing equipment allow the VRUs to operate only while loading, saving power and decreasing emissions.
2. Variable Frequency Drives
- Variable Frequency Drives (VFD) are electrical devices that can be installed to control the speed of the motors powering pumps at our terminals. By controlling the speed of the pump to deliver just the right flow rate at the desired pressure, there is less energy wasted through the system.
3. Marine Fuel Optimization
- Our Marine organization utilizes a fuel optimization program that requires captains to continuously monitor speed and acceleration. The program has been a huge success, reducing fuel usage up to 2 million gallons per year and avoids more than 20,000 tonnes per year in greenhouse gas emissions.
Operating with Integrity
We are committed to safe and environmentally responsible operations to protect the health and safety of employees, contractors, and communities where we operate.
Operational Excellence Management System (OEMS)
Our RC14001® and ISO 9001 aligned management system adheres to a "plan-do-check-adjust" framework to assess risks, set targets and measure progress. Our business decisions take into account health, environment, safety, and security matters, and are guided by our Code of Business Conduct. Meeting these commitments is a responsibility shared by everyone, including employees, contractors and third parties. To learn more about our OEMS click here.
We are committed to being good stewards of the environment. Our OEMS provides the procedural framework to ensure we account for the potential effects of our activities on ecosystems and prepare necessary mitigation procedures. Our approach also involves ongoing collaboration with applicable state and federal regulatory agencies, including the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Building Sustainable Landscapes
Our wholly owned subsidy, Marathon Pipe Line LLC (MPL) is harnessing nature-based solutions to operate its pipelines safely while improving biodiversity and enhancing habitat for pollinators and wildlife.
You can learn more about our commitment to biodiversity in our 2022 Sustainability Report.
Spill Preparedness & Response
We recognize that our business activities, including the transporting of crude oil and refined product, can pose a risk to the ecosystems and communities in which our assets are located. We consider any spill to be unacceptable and are therefore committed to preventing and mitigating potential spills.
Creating Shared Value
We believe that creating shared value through our people, our communities and our suppliers helps to ensure the social and economic needs of future generations are met.
Community Engagement & Impact
We are dedicated to building and maintaining relationships in the communities where we operate. We are proud to support local and national charitable organizations and encourage employees to make a positive impact through volunteerism and community service.
Engaging Stakeholders and Communities
- Earning Your Trust
Through its industry-leading public engagement program, MPL engages landowners, community members, schools and public officials on pipeline safety and infrastructure. The program helps MPL focus on community involvement while encouraging employees and contractors to be positive ambassadors when working with or contacting the public. To learn more about MPL’s Earning Your Trust program click here.
- Charitable Contributions and Grants
We strive to make a meaningful impact in the communities in which our assets are located, and strategically focus community investments on three core areas where it can make a positive, measurable impact: workforce development, sustainability and thriving communities.